Indiana’s December 2017 unemployment figures announced

Published On: January 24th, 2018Categories: CaucusTags:

Today, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development (DWD) announced Indiana’s January 2018 unemployment figures, representing a decrease from November’s rate. The new rate is 3.4 percent and represents a decrease of 0.3 percent from the previous month. Indiana’s unemployment rate is 0.7 percent lower than the national rate, and 0.6 percent lower than this time last year.

Surrounding states – Illinois, Kentucky and Ohio observed decreases in their unemployment rates, while Michigan saw an increase in their unemployment rate. Illinois saw a decrease of 0.1 percent in December, bringing their unemployment rate to 4.8 percent, the highest rate in our surrounding states. Kentucky observed 0.3 percent decrease from December, bringing their overall unemployment rate to 4.4 percent overall. Ohio’s rate 4.7 percent, which represents a .1 percent decline from December. Michigan, the only neighboring state that did not see a decline in their monthly number, now stands at 4.7 percent for December.

IN County with the highest unemployment rate: Vermillion at 4.9%
IN County with the lowest rate: LaGrange at 2%

Employment Report (LAUS)
Labor Force Estimates for U.S., Indiana, MSAs, Counties, Cities
Ranking of Indiana Counties by Unemployment Rate
Indiana County Map with Unemployment Rates


Jobs Report (CES)
Seasonally-Adjusted Employment Table for Indiana
Non-Seasonally-Adjusted Employment Table for Indiana
Detail Employment Listing – Statewide & MSAs

View by Legislative Year

View by Current & Past Member